Golf

The future.

Timmy walked into his Grade 3 classroom. He took off his outdoor shoes, put his indoor shoes on, hung up his coat, and walked over to his usual desk at the back of the room. It was quieter back there. Easier to go unnoticed by his peers and his teachers gaze. Reaching into his desk for his daily agenda, he took a deep breath. It was particularly hard to wake up this morning. Timmy pulled out his agenda and flipped to todays date. It was his birthday and no one had said a thing. He liked it that way. Being the centre of attention didn’t appeal to him. The morning featured math and english. After lunch was social studies (his favourite) and science. He hoped the day went quickly and so he could go home and read his book. His teacher walked around the classroom checking over everyone’s agenda for messages. When he got to Timmy’s desk he bent down to Timmy’s level and quietly whispered “Happy Birthday Timmy. I won’t make an announcement to the class, but at lunch you can pick a gift from the surprise box .” Timmy smiled. His teacher knew he didn’t like to be singled out. In his own little way, Timmy knew that he was cared for. Maybe this day didn’t need to go as quick as he originally thought.

THE END

At first, I didn’t have any idea what I wanted to write a story about. I thought of the future and couldn’t think of what it might look like. I feel that people often see the future as this bleak and terrible thing, but I don’t think it is. I believe that the kids of today are the leaders of tomorrow. We have the privilege and duty as educators to help students along their journey. In every seed there is a forest of potential. Whatever we sow into our students, our future will reap the benefits. I look back at my own days in school with happy memories. Not everyone does. I want to be a teacher that helps students discover their gifts and potential as human beings. It all begins with relationship. So as I sat down to write a story about the future I thought of a little student who doesn’t necessarily fit in, or even want to fit in. But because of small actions that his teacher does, the student is brought out of their shell and feels comfortable enough to take the risks inherent in learning. There is a forest in the seed; it’s our job to help it grow.