Golf

Multi-Access Learning

The pandemic has shown us that we are capable of adapting in so many areas of life; education being a huge one. Face to face works. Online works. A combination of them both work. As the pandemic (appears to) be coming to an end I’m going to give you my 5 educational highlights and lowlights of the online learning that I have experienced for the last 2 years:

Lowlights

1. Staring at a screen all day is tiring for my eyes. Being online gives little relief.
  2. I get distracted so easily, especially when Netflix and YouTube are a click away. In online classes there’s almost no accountability for what is going on outside of the zoom room.
  3. I can see my warm bed from my living room. It’s always calling my name in online classes.
  4. It’s hard to feel connected with peers and the teacher in an online environment
  5. Many teachers are unorganized with their Brightspace. It’s difficult to clarify expectations online.

Highlights

1. It is generally cheaper. No commuting, less physical textbooks, etc. etc.
  2. Because of the zoom break out room options, collaboration is easier. In the past we have had to meet in person for working on group projects but now we have the tools to schedule meetings online. Group projects have been changed for the good.
  3. The resources available online vastly outweigh anything that could fit inside the classroom. By having access to these resources online, learning is more meaningful. You also have unlimited access at anytime of the day to the class resources, because your class is in the virtual world.
  4. There is more flexibility with classwork. You have the ability to complete classwork when it fits your schedule because all the things you need are a click away.
  5. You learn new ways and platforms to communicate with people in class and around you.

Of course there are highlights and lows lights for in person learning as well, but I could go on forever. Multi-access learning is a way that we can connect the highlights of both areas into student learning. We’ve seen the benefits of online learning and now we can implement some of these things in the classroom.